arXitecture

 


ANTONIO BARLUZZI and the PILGRIMAGE CHURCHES

 

The Chapel of the Flagellation, Via Dolorosa
 

After designing two large basilicas Barluzzi’s next church was a small chapel, the Chapel of the Flagellation, which is the second Station of the Cross in the Via Dolorosa.

The Crusader Churches of the Flagellation and Condemnation were located here, but the site was only a mound of ruins, when it was granted to the Franciscans by Ibrahim Pasha in 1838. The Chapel of the Flagellation was hastily rebuilt the following year thanks to the generosity of Maximilian of Bavaria, and then rebuilt in 1928-9 by Barluzzi.

In 1901-3 excavations discovered the remains of the Chapel of Condemnation, a nearly square three-aisled medieval building in which four columns had supported the dome over the Roman pavement. This was rebuilt as the chapel of the Condemnation in 1903-4 by a Franciscan architect, Br. Wendelin of Menden, retaining the Roman pavement.

Barluzzi was inspired by the site’s 12th century remains for the slightly pointed doorway of several orders, and the corbels under the shallow gable. The west front is similar to that of the Crusader church built overt the tomb of the Virgin Mary.

The Chapel of the Flagellation consists of a nave and domed sanctuary. The mosaic in the dome over the altar is decorated with a huge crown of thorns studded with bright stars of victory. The three magnificent stained glass windows in the choir are by L. Picchiarini after the design of D. Cambellotti. The central window depicts Jesus being scourged at the pillar, while the flanking windows show Pilate, washing his hands, and Barabbas.

 


 

For more pictures click on biblewalks.com or stations of the cross
 
next      Church of the Beatitudes
return to CONTENTS

return to Articles and Reviews

To comment or offer contributions email editor@arxitecture.org.uk
 

Thank you for visiting  arXitecture - please call again